7 tips to Keep Your Smart Home Hack-Proof
There are several tips that you can use in order to keep your smart home from being hacked. Read the following tips to protect your smart home in Wilmington NC.
- Make sure that you always change the default settings on the devices in the home that are connected to the Internet. Most of the time, they are going to come with default passwords that you will need to change immediately. This is because it makes it very easy for hackers to get into.
- Ensure all of the latest updates are installed on the devices. the best way to do this is to sign up for notifications via email for updates. You should be able to do this through the website. If you cannot find it on the website, then call the manufacturer to see if they have this option.
- Isolate all of your gadgets from the home network. The best way to do this is to login to the guest network on the router. This is going to help to isolate all of the devices and prevent a device that has already been comprised to allow full access to your home network.
- Minimize the connectivity of the Ethernet and Wi-Fi. This means that you will need to disconnect from the devices that you are not using so that you can minimize the surface of the attack. It is also harder to get into a wired connection compared to the wireless connection.
- Disable all of the features that you do not need. Some of these features might include a built-in camera and microphone that you might not always need. If you can't disable the camera, block it or turn it so that it faces the wall.
- Set up a perimeter that is secure. This means that you need to set up the firewall inside of the network and block the access to the ports that are not being used. The devices with no firewall are going to be very vulnerable to the hackers.
- Create a separate email address. This needs to be the email address that you are only going to use for your home network. It is one of the best ways to ensure that your home network cannot be exposed to the many hackers.
Are you interested in having home automation installed in your home? Give AcoustiCreations a call today at (910) 390-1968 to schedule a consultation.